Sunday, 2 September 2018

Day 294: The Sleepwalker

So sleeping is something that we all do, whether you are a light sleeper or a deep sleeper, whether you sleep for 4-6 hours or 8-12 hours a night, sleep is something each of us must do, it is what separates us from machines.

When we are asleep the nervous system is inactive, our eyes are closed, the muscles in our body relax and our consciousness is practically suspended - in this sleep state you may often have dreams as you fall into unconsciousness and DMT is released in your brain, however many types of chemicals and drugs can affect sleep and dream patterns etc.

Sleep is effectively the time of day where our body is almost recharging, most scientists agree that the importance of sleep is secondary only to water and air.

The effects of not having enough sleep can be detrimental to health in many ways - statistically people who sleep less then 7 hours a night are at an increased risk of: colds/flu, cardiovascular disease, obesity, depression, diabetes and even dementia.

These are the effects of not having enough sleep, and if you do your research the effects of having no sleep can be incredibly devastating as many government experiments in different countries have shown in history.

The Soviet Union in the 1940's did some interesting studies on this, showing that if a person is kept awake long enough, that eventually powerful hallucinations start occurring, a state of permanent insomnia, self-harm and a person can effectively be turned into a zombie of sorts.

There are however scientists who have found that some people have a rare CED2 gene mutation which allows this person to sleep 4 hours a night and still have the energy to function perfectly well throughout the day, though there are not many effective tests currently for locating this gene.

But I want to investigate sleep patterns in my life, because this is a point that I have faced before many times and not been effective at correcting for the most part.

Just recently for instance, I have been spending a lot of time with a female partner and she like most people have a standard type of sleep pattern, where she will ideally sleep between 9.30pm-12am, and wake up between 6am-9am.

For me though I usually sleep between 1am-3am on weekdays, waking up the next day around 7.30am, or on weekends when I have less work, I will stay up till between 4am-6am, then waking up at around 12-2pm.

She has been almost forcing herself to try and adapt to my sleep patterns, which has caused her to get very tired more throughout the day, meanwhile I will usually be totally fine with 4-6 hours sleep.

I have noticed though more recently that as I get older that I am having bouts of tiredness that hit me throughout the day, and when I do wake up, it is like this long process to wake up, because i will be stuck in this insomnia like zombie state for the first few hours when I wake up and it is only after a few coffees and sugary foods that my mind wakes up fully.

Also I used to never get flu's or colds of any kind, but in the past year I have had a lot, and this again has caused me to question my sleep patterns.

So this woman I have been seeing, or partner if you will has been getting more frustrated about my sleep patterns and the effect they are having on her, shes been reacting and I have been reacting to her reaction, justifying and defending my sleep patterns, while also agreeing with her perspective.

There are many factors that play into my sleep habits - years ago I used to always have more then 8 hours of sleep, but things that my granddad and Bernard taught me, is where through the years I started training my mind to have 4-6 hours of sleep.

Bernard suggested to me that when one looks at the world, that there is no time to sleep with the problems in the world, because there is so much that needs correction, but he meant this from the perspective of going to sleep early and waking up early to maximise what I can achieve in a day and that I can train myself to sleep 4-6 hours which makes complete sense.

Where as what I have turned my sleep patterns into is actually wasting more of the day, because I am sleeping so late that the next day I am not actually here for the morning so to speak, especially on weekends.

My granddad also confirmed that 4-6 hours pf sleep can be achieved for some people, which made me want to adopt this into my sleep schedule, but in self abusive way, by always sleeping late, then waking up early on weekdays or late on weekends, but always, always sleeping no earlier then 1 am on any night.

Many pre-programmed thought patterns, memories, and ideas have been endorsed and had layers added to in my mind through the years in relation to sleep -

I will sleep when I'm dead, this is something that I heard Bernard and a few people say before, which again I reacted to and took the wrong way.

Then of course this all started from younger years, where this system teaches children that it is "naughty to sleep late" because only adults are allowed to do it. This is where I first starting defining the idea of sleeping late to be something cool and by doing it, automatically makes me older.

I remember in 1999 when I first saw the film Fight club while I thought the whole film was cool, certain parts of it stuck with me, like the love for fighting, and the explanation of Insomnia in the film - I always wondered if I have insomnia since that film and almost forced myself to become an insomniac because of thinking its explanation was so cool in the film.

Then in recent years I have had fears of being unconscious, that I don't trust being unconscious, because who knows what can be done to me while I am asleep right? Someone could break in my house, or maybe break into my dreams so to speak.

Then for years I have defined myself as "not normal" therefore my mind justifies that I don't need to sleep like "normal people" which again fuels this addiction to sleeping late, and sleeping 4-6 hours.

Also I have always enjoyed martial arts, but as I have developed into adulthood,  I have been enjoying MMA and any kind of combat sports, I even have a website which makes me money for these subjects - so again this adds more layers of justifications onto my sleep patterns, because very often these events will be aired live very late in the UK between 1am-6am typically if its in America, Australia or in Asia etc.

In my mind I must  see the event happen live, so this again just makes sleeping early more of an issue to address.

This addiction to sleeping late is having more effects on me nowadays and I must find a more effective balance of sleep in order to maximise my relationships and potential in this life.

So join me next time as I continue to investigate and correct this sleepwalker pattern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment