In the west historical depictions and concepts surrounding Dragons are that they are synonymous with the Devil, and are cold blooded evil beings, that are enemies of mankind, the western dragon has typically been seen as a fire breathing scaly horned creature with wings.
There are countless historical and mythological stories in the west such as Beowulf, St. George and the Dragon, The epic of Gilgamesh, the Bible, and many others, all centralising around a famous prince or king being praised for fighting off dragons to protect their village or kingdom from the threat that the Dragons posed.
Yet in Asia, the Dragon is historically depicted differently as a being that is a combination of snakes
and eagles with no wings. yet still being able to fly, and is seen as a symbol of strength, imperial authority and wisdom, which you could say I have shaped much of my character after this premise.
Again there are countless fascinating stories throughout Asia, which tend to praise Dragons much more then in the west, as we see in the classic 16th century Chinese novel called Journey to the West. In Vietnam for instance it is believed that Vietnamese people descend from a Dragon and a Fairy, in Japan and many Asian cultures it is believed that the Dragon has the ability to change weather and make it rain.
Yet despite this difference regarding the viewpoints on Dragons in the east and west, in all areas of the world all Dragons are typically taken on as symbols of authority by all royal households.
But lets look closer at what I mean by I have shaped much of my character after the premise of the eastern dragon, because my fascination with Asia in general in my life, much of it has stemmed from the point of the dragon -
Any historical and mythological story I learnt about growing up, was always automatically more interesting to me if it had Dragons involved. I can remember my granddad teaching me stories from Gods of Eden, Beowulf, George and the Dragon, the Secret Doctrine and other books where dragons are involved growing up.
So Bruce Lee who was Chinese was a huge hero of mine growing up, probably the most influential figure on TV for me. It is common knowledge that he had many philosophies about dragons, his ties to Chinese secret societies of the Dragon families, and even going so far as to speak about invoking dragon entities before battle - Bruce himself was often referred to as The Dragon.
So you can imagine how much this imprinted on me, now on top of this one of my ex partners was from China, which was a passionate relationship for the the time she was living in England.
Also I have owned a few dragons in my day in the form of a Monitor Lizard, a Python and a Bearded Dragon.
Now what I noticed the other day at work, one of my work colleagues was struggling to complete a deal with his Chinese client, and at one point he started ranting and raving after a long phone call, about "how the Chinese are such weird people" "its all bloody Dragons and hidden meanings".
I reacted aggressively immediately when I heard the words China and Dragons in a derogatory light, I told him to shut his fucking mouth, and start learning the Chinese culture better and respect the fact that the guy will make him a lot of money instead of talking shit about him when hes not there. My work colleague could see I was offended by his words, and then apologised to me, but it was a moment that silenced the usually bustling office for a few seconds.
Now while what I said to my work colleague was valid with regards to respecting others equally as life, but the point of me reacting defensively and being personally offended when someone talks shit about China or certain other Asian countries like Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, and South Korea is an unnecessary reaction to have.
I mean in one of my offices it is very common to hear someone having a heated debate with someone from another country, and then venting some steam about the culture at the end of the call, but why is it when I hear about someone talking shit about certain Asian countries I lose my shit?
When I look closer I can see a lot of memories I've been holding onto, and with charged emotions with regards to dragons/asia. So the moment that happened in the office recently has happened in many other situations before, and will only continue to happen again if I do not change some things in my mind in relation to this.
When someone says or does something really stupid in our environment it is always more advisable to move into action to direct the stupidity to whats best for all, but within this no reaction inside my mind is needed, no breathing fire on people - no personal offence, annoyance and aggression is needed within this equation,
Dragons are amazing creatures no matter what you look at it, there is nothing wrong with enjoying Dragons in symbology, history, mythology, animal kingdom etc. But nothing in this world should move me to instability in any moment, because I must learn to be in this world, but not of this world,
So join me next time as I continue to unravel this pre-program.





No comments:
Post a Comment